Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Rainy Days and Tuesdays

Okay, I'll admit it; it rains a lot in Cuenca (even when it's not supposed to). And "yes" I've heard that people have moved away from this lovely city because they just can't tolerate the cold and the rain. Well, I'm not so sure about the cold part, but the rain does tend to get on my nerves a tad bit.

There are a few things I wish I had packed in my suitcase: lots of colorful rain boots, rain gear (rain coats with hoods), and Tote umbrellas in every size and color. That way, when it rains I can skip along with my boots and I don't have to worry about being splashed from head to toe by the big blue buses that seem to make it their purpose to hunt me down on every corner and make sure I'm drenching wet!

Really, I don't mind, but when I have to be somewhere (all dressed up), it makes me wish that I had carried a huge black garbage bag and plopped it over my head (with a few holes for my nose and eyes). Last night I had my "Tandem Club" at the University of Cuenca and it was beautiful when I entered the building, but soon the pitter patter of raindrops started and by the time I left there was a torrential downpour.





There were no taxis in sight (all were full), but I made the Magnolia Cafe my refuge. If you have to be stuck in a rainstorm, you might as well enjoy a great chicken salad sandwich and a warm cappuccino. I even managed to draft a Chicken Soup story out of the whole ordeal, so it was worth it. It gave me time to dry out, call my favorite taxi driver, and make my list for the States (in August) of all the splashy rain boots in hot pink with polka dots and colorful umbrellas. And I think a raincoat with a zip-out lining might even make me look forward to the rain.  And just for kicks and giggles, I just might order a yellow slicker for Mocha!



To all you Ecuadorian Expat Wannabees...listen up! Pack up your rain gear.

Oh, and did I fail to mention...there's outdoor sitting with or without the rain (with heaters). Vive Magnolia Cafe!



Better yet, sit inside where it's really warm and cozy, but don't take "my" sofa!



Magnolia Cafe is located in the Otorongo Plaza -- can't miss it (red doors)!

Until next time...hasta luego!














1 comment:

Connie Pombo said...

Wow, that is simply outrageous! I'm sure glad I just ordered a chicken sandwich and a cappucino.I haven't been back since that day, but it sounds like they really raised their prices. I agree that it's more than gringo pricing, it's highway robbery. I don't know what my total came to, but I remember it wasn't a $2.00 almuerzo! But they had a captive audience (with me); I was looking for shelter that day from the rain. I need to go back and check out the entire menu. I did notice on that day there were mostly Ecuadorians (and no gringos), which is really odd to me. I will do some investigating and find out who runs the place and why they are charging so much. Thanks you so much your comments and I think they should give you the entire pecan pie for $6.00 (not just a slice). I'll post a follow-up on what I find out. All the best to you and I'm so sorry you were priced gouged.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...