Friday, March 19, 2010

Are We Crazy?

Why is it when I say we’re moving and retiring to Ecuador, everyone looks as though I have horns growing out of my head? And then the words, “Oh, are you going to be missionaries?”

Hmm...

Then I say “Cuenca” and they repeat “Oh, you mean Quito; I had a brother who worked there!”

Last night we had dinner with our friend, the psychologist, and his wife (who speaks fluent Spanish) and they didn’t blink when we discussed our future plans for retirement. In fact, he turned to his wife and said, “Would you like to do what Mark and Connie are doing when we retire?”

Without hesitation she nodded her head in affirmation and blurted out, “Absolutely, I would love to do exactly what they are doing!”

Finally, someone got it. How refreshing! I actually enjoyed the rest of my meal because I didn’t feel the need to explain or “unexplain” the fact that I wasn’t crazy!

Retirement is a new adventure and on the stress scale it receives 45 points…the same as being fired from a job, but with a lot more PERKS.

Last night as we snuggled under the covers, I whispered in Mark’s ear, “Honey, do you think we’re crazy?”

A smile spread across his face as he mouthed the words, “What do you think?"

I had my answer!

Until next time…hasta luego!


Mark and Connie (not so crazy after all!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...