Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pink Zhumir Ice Cream


After two weeks of my no carb diet and ten pounds lighter, I decided to celebrate with some Pink Zhumir ice cream at Mixx Gourmet Ice Cream. To tell you the truth, I don't even like Pink Zhumir, but in the form of "gelato" it's absolutely delicious!

I think I ate my way through grief while Dad Pombo was in the hospital and then going to the States, I realized that everyone tries to feed you before, during and after a funeral. When people don't know what to say or do, they offer food as an alternative. And then there was that box of See's Candy that just happened to disappear over the course of ten days. When I arrived back in Cuenca (a little heavier), I vowed to get back on track. My first stop was to buy a bathroom scale at Sukasa ($17). When I stepped on it for the first time, I almost took it back to get a refund, but then I realized there was nothing wrong with it. It was only doing its job!

After weighing in, my plan was simple: stay away from "pan" (bread), no sugar, and only eat fresh fruits and vegetables (and lean protein). I'm not sure why I didn't think of that before! The next "few" pounds should shed more easily now that I've found out what works. Oh, and lots and lots of water with fresh lemon and ginger in it. I don't even miss coffee anymore.


Most expats lose at least 20-30 pounds during their first few months in Ecuador, but unfortunately I ate my way through Cuenca and fell in love with bread. I'm an unusual case and almost everyone I know has stayed on the lean side (just don't forget to pack your bathroom scale!).

Combined with my new "diet," I've incorporated some water aerobics and at least two hours of walking every  day (not leisurely walking, but at a fast clip with weights). Non-food rewards work for me as well, like a manicure or pedicure which was absolutely delightful this week. I was at Monte Sinai getting "stuck" by the dermatologist and rewarded myself afterwards with a manicure at Studio Morena which is on the first floor of the Consultorios Monte Sinai (Torre 2).



The pleasant staff placed a warming pack around my shoulders while they worked on my "uñas"--making them bright and cheerful (total cost: $5.00). At the Hotel Hershey in Pennsylvania where I used to go for some pampering, I walked out with a bill about ten times that amount.

Pink Zhumir ice cream is my new favorite, but will be reserved for special occasions (like today!).

Until next time...hasta luego!






Tags created with Ukion Tag Generator










No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...