Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ecuador #5 Place to Retire!


As a writer for Yahoo Voices, I often get the feed before it goes live so I was interested in the newest article on the Top #18 Places to Retire Overseas and Ecuador finally jumped out of the number #1 spot and got bumped to #5. This is very good news; I mean...don't you think we need a little break from being in the #1 spot for such a long time?

Since the Reuters article by Alina Dikik surfaced on "Ecuador Seen as a New Retirement Hot Spot," I've been getting about 20 e-mails a day regarding the statement "$600 a month." To set the record straight, we don't live on $600 a month. Our monthly income is $1,317 and we're able to save 20 percent of our income. Any way you slice it or dice it, the figure is not correct. So to all of you wanna be expats on your way to Ecuador, please know that it is highly unlikely that you will be able to live on that amount as stated in the article.

As a freelance writer myself, I always try my best to get my facts straight and unfortunately the article was off by hundreds of dollars. And once something goes "viral" on the Internet, it simply doesn't go away so I thought I would clear the air in that regard.

In the meantime, we've had to postpone our coastal vacation until June as Mark needs some dental work done (he broke a tooth and needs a crown), so we will take a short trip to Guayaquil during the first week of April and stay at the Hampton Inn and treat ourselves to lots of Sweet and Coffee, do the Malecon, and pamper ourselves just a bit before we start a new cycle at school.


We can only hope that the documentary film on expats in Ecuador coming out soon, won't mention anything about finances. Just in case, we're checking out some property in Abruzzo, Italy (#12 place in the world to retire).

Until next time...arrivederci!






Tags created with Ukion Tag Generator








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...