Thursday, June 21, 2012

Expat Events!

There are so many expat events in Cuenca each week, it's hard to keep up with them all. But last Saturday, we splurged and went to several. One of them was an Expat Wine Tasting at Mansion Alcazar. Leon Hall was there (from Fashion Emergency USA) singing a medley of songs and, of course, there were wines from CousiƱo Macul Wine House.


Mansion Alcazar never disappoints when it comes to putting on a special event. The flowers, candles, and  hors d'oeuvres were the perfect complement to the variety of wines (especially the "gris" which simply disappeared). We also had an opportunity to catch up with old friends and meet the new folks in town.





My favorite part of the evening came right before we stepped in the door at the Mansion. Mark turned around and realized he had lost me! Actually, right down the street from the Alacazar was a wedding which was spectacular. Our taxi had passed by the church just as the bride and groom were getting into their car. I wanted to jump out and snap some pictures, but instead I waited until the taxi stopped and I ran back to catch a glimpse of the bride and groom. What caught my eye was a radiant bride holding a bouquet of red roses and the bridesmaids were holding white roses (that was a delightful twist to an old tradition). And the groom reminded me of Andrea Bocelli, so I played wedding photographer and moved up to the front of the crowd and watched as the couple got into their antique white convertible.





After the happy couple sped away from the church with shouts of "tanti auguri" from the crowd, I decided to join my hubby at the event that we had actually planned to attend -- the wine tasting! Mark knows me so well, he hardly flinched when I disappeared before we "arrived."

Expat events are always a highlight of the week and last Saturday was no exception --  filled with wine, music, and song!


 Until next time...hasta luego!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...