Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Italy!


Today I had an overwhelming urge for Italy!

Blame it on Wikipedia being on strike, writer's block or just reminiscing, but I pulled out all of our pictures of Sicily and thought, What are we doing in Cuenca? We should be in Calitri, Italy!


It's not every day that I feel this way, but I have to tell you that today was one of those days! I think it was all the lesson planning I had to do for teaching (we're "conversing" about Italy), combined with my walk around the neighborhood where every new high rise has an Italian name: Capri, Amalfi and La Roma. Oh, and let's not forget the "Palermo" building, which just happens to be the capital of Sicily!


We've been here for 1-1/2 years and I still don't have an emotional connection with the language the way I did with Italian. I loved rolling my rrrrrr's and saying "gelato" with gusto. Italians just have this zest for life that's contagious, including all the hand motions that go with every word. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was pregnant (x2) with my babies in the land of pasta and pesto. I have no idea what it is, but I just don't get that same fuzzy feeling with español.






So tomorrow I'll show up for Spanish Class and pretend that none of this ever happened!

Until next time...Ciao!  I mean...hasta luego!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we use to say ciao too. It's very common in Spanish but whey you want to say good bye. So enjoy at least saying ciao instead hasta luego :)

Connie Pombo said...

Now that I'm teaching, I think I found the emotional connection with the language that I needed. I say "Ciao" a lot (coming and going!). Thanks, Anonymous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...