Friday, September 10, 2010

Artesa

I'm not sure what it is, but Artesa (the ceramic place) keeps alluding us. Today we went with our wonderful new friends, Mike and Kim, and we were hoping to find some treasures in the "seconds" room. But wouldn't you know it?  It is only open in the morning (8-12), and we arrived at 12:30 p.m.  Maria, the woman who greeted us, in the "show room" told us that we needed to come back the next morning (this was already our second visit). I guess some things just aren't mean to be!

But we did pick up a few pieces and toured the factory, watching the workers draw the designs and paint them. I'm pretty sure you need a steady hand to do that sort of work and a lot of patience. When they say, "hecho a mano" they mean it. Each piece is expertly hand painted. Heck, I can't even color in the lines or paint by number!

We did find the "seconds" room under lock and key. We gazed in...drooling at some fine pieces with a few flaws (not really noticeable), and I'm sure at a significant "disquento." But we will be back (in the morning next time!).

With our treasures in hand, we took a taxi to Parque Calderon where we enjoyed "helado" at Tutto Freddo (and I wonder why I can't lose weight?). During our visit, a follower of our blog came up and introduced himself and then another blog follower. They all recognized my husband!  Hmm...I think it's the bald head (I notice the Ecuadorian men keep their hair and they have lots of it).

Then Mike, Kim and I wandered into Parque Calderon where we met another follower of our blog -- a young couple -- who were absolutely delightful. We found their lives to be so interesting -- a Harvard grad lawyer! We told him we needed more immigration attorneys in Cuenca, but I'm not sure he was interested in that field (but it was worth a try!).

We took more pictures and more pictures! It was a gorgeous day and the sunshine was a welcome change from the rain we've had (although I love the sound of the river as it lulls us to sleep each night, so I'm thankful for the rain!).

We took the #3 bus home to our newly furnished place; the big mirror went up in the dining room and our guest room is now complete. Mark placed the Artesa pottery on the shelf and we called it a day. It's only been a few times where we both fell asleep as soon as we "dropped," but it was absolutely divine. 

I never knew that shoppping for pottery could take so much out of a person, but we'll be back for more and next time we'll be sure to arrive at Artesa in the morning!

Until next time...hasta luego!


Consuelo y Marco

Artesa
Isabel La Catolica 1-102 y Av. de las Americas
Cuecna, Ecuador
http://www.artesa.com.ec/

Maria Ines can help you find the perfect piece(s)!

2 comments:

indel said...

I like reading everything Cuencans post on these blogs. It is not criticism, for me is difficult to read your pages. The gray letters on black background, the size of the font, all deter me to read. Hope to see you in person, soon, and to hear from the…author mouth. Buena suerte.

Connie Pombo said...

Congrats on your new addition! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...